[Vserver] Correct usage of vlan devices / weird error

From: Oliver Welter <mail_at_oliwel.de>
Date: Wed 16 May 2007 - 09:10:54 BST

Hi Folks,

Today I ran into a problem with newtwork devices on vlans.

My box has one physikal interface (eth0) which hosts two vlans (vlan3 +
vlan4). The "basic" vlan interfaces are created on system bootup and
have each one ip assigned.

In the vserver-config I used the default syntax with "vlan3" in the file
"dev" and ignored the warnings on startup *sic* which worked on my old
config (0.30.210 tools on 2.6.15 kernel).

Today an angry customer called that his webserver is down - examination
 showed:
The guest has a total of 6 interfaces assigned where 4 are in vlan3, the
first 3 in the vlan startup properly, the 4th one shows "NETLINK:
numeric result out of range".

Anybody has an idea on this ? And perhaps anybody can point me to a good
idea how to get rid of the warnings. I dont succeed with the "nodev" flag...

Oliver

--
Protect your environment -  close windows and adopt a penguin!
PGP-Key: 3B2C 8095 A7DF 8BB5 2CFF  8168 CAB7 B0DD 3985 1721