Re: [Vserver] compatibility question

From: Guenther Fuchs <vserver_at_muh.at>
Date: Sat 02 Jun 2007 - 00:44:00 BST

Hi there,

on Saturday, June 2, 2007 at 12:57:58 AM there was posted:

C> i am talking guests only. i know the host o/s would be uniquely installed.

I have exactly such an environment, one server running AMD XP 4000+
64bit and another running (single ;-/ ) Opteron 875 Dual-Core CPUs,
but unfortunately I only have 32bit guests on both.

It's anyhow there no problem to simply move one guest to the oterh
host by shutting it down, rysncing it and startign it on the other
host - and that's about everything I have to do. I cannot see, why
this shouldn't work with 64bit guests as well.

C> i guess what i am asking is does the guest care as long as it is
C> the same processors?

I dont' even think it's really necessary to have the same processor -
as 32bit guests also run on Intel x86 celeron CPUs (where I prepare
the guests before moving them to the Athlon/Opteron operating hosts).

C> we want to simply copy the guests from one machine to the other
C> so if needed the 2nd machine can take over almost immediately.

As far as I can see from my experiences I cannot even see one reason,
why this shouldn't work.

--
regards 'n greez,
Guenther Fuchs