load limiting [WAS: Re: [Vserver] disk scheduling ?]

From: Garcon du Monde <gdm_at_fifthhorseman.net>
Date: Wed 06 Jun 2007 - 15:26:01 BST

hi,

Tony Lewis wrote:
> Herbert Poetzl wrote:
>> On Wed, May 23, 2007 at 01:07:55AM +0200, Attila Csipa wrote:
>>
>>> I have a problem where one of the contexts is really heavy on IO and
>>> I'd try to limit that.
>>>

>> the question here is, _why_ .. maybe your service
>> really has a high I/O demand, maybe the service is
>> just badly configured ...
>>

> I'll add my "me too" to this. The _why_ is the same as for CPU limiting
> - so we can treat these vservers like they don't have to know or care
> about what other vservers do.

me too! :) well, actually, a little bit different... i have a (host)
server that is running about 15 guests. for most of these, it has been
fine, but there are a couple that are now running quite intensely. this
is making the loadavg for the host - and all the guests - quite high, so
that generally it is 5-10 and sometimes up to 40 or more. when it is
high, everything runs slow.

my question is, is there a way to restrict the loads (from 'uptime' or
'cat /proc/loadavg') on the individual guests (from the host, of
course), or is it just a matter of limiting the memory and cpu usages
alone? and if so, how to figure out which is having the biggest impact?

i know that the idea situation would be to move the high load vservers
onto dedicated physical hardware, but unfortunately that is not an
option that is open to me.

thanks for any help,

        --gdm