Re: [Vserver] clusters/farms/failovers?

From: Chuck <chuck_at_sbbsnet.net>
Date: Fri 22 Jun 2007 - 13:48:12 BST

On Friday 22 June 2007 07:10, Raoul Bhatia [IPAX] wrote:

ugh. ocfs2 may not do for us. it does not support quotas..i have to check if
they mean disk quota or user quota. we use user disk space quotas on almost
everything. that is one option that is not negotiable to break.

Note: Features which OCFS2 does not support yet:
               - extended attributes
  │ - shared writeable mmap
  │ - loopback is supported, but data written will not
  │ be cluster coherent.
  │ - quotas
  │ - cluster aware flock
  │ - Directory change notification (F_NOTIFY)
  │ - Distributed Caching (F_SETLEASE/F_GETLEASE/break_lease)
  │ - POSIX ACLs
  │ - readpages / writepages (not user visible)

> Chuck wrote:
> > after finding some information in other list archives, i see the control
> > doesn't need a lot of horsepower and that 1gb ram is good for approx 5
> > million simultaneous connections! so yeah. that machine can be downgraded
> > quite affordably.
>
> please keep in mind that you will need multiple ip addresses to achieve
> that as you're limited to approx 64k usable ports and therefore
> connections in tcp.
>

> for gfs (or better gfs2): i did not succeed in getting it up and
> running. ocfs2 has been no problem.
>
> i had a small talk with the developer of drbd where i came to the
> conclusion that i should favor ocfs2 anyway.
>
> hth,
> raoul bhatia
> --

Chuck
"...and the hordes of M$*ft users descended upon me in their anger,
and asked 'Why do you not get the viruses or the BlueScreensOfDeath
or insecure system troubles and slowness or pay through the nose
for an OS as *we* do?!!', and I answered...'I use Linux'. "
The Book of John, chapter 1, page 1, and end of book