Re: [Vserver] One More Time - copy a Guest from system to system

From: Chuck <chuck_at_sbbsnet.net>
Date: Tue 10 Jul 2007 - 21:36:35 BST

On Tuesday 10 July 2007 14:01, Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
> I've been all through the Wiki and old docs, searched using Google,
> looked through my _OLD_ messages (back to 2003) and still can't come up
> with a well defined method to copy a (running if possible) vserver guest
> from one system to another.
>
> From my reading I think I need to build the _new_ guest 'mynewone'
> using the skeleton method. Then rm all the files in /vserver/mynewone
> and follow that with a rsync from the _old_ guest to the _new_ guest.
> Unfortunately the vserver docs are from the CTX kernels. A vserver
> --help gets a semi-useful help screen. Any newer docs?
>
> What special rsync switches do I need or use to make this process
> doable? As in it is a running guest that I'd prefer not taking down
> until the actual move I'm sure /proc and maybe /dev could cause problems.
>
> The need for the hot copy is because the _old_ guest has a big pile of
> installed perl modules and _other_ software packages. It would be
> easier to copy than (re)install them. :-)

i don't even bother creating the destination vserver if it will be a mirror of
the original, i simply rsync /etc/vservers/* and /vservers/*.

we do that every 6 hours to update files that have changed, or add new guests
with no problems. you will see 'file vanished before copy' and 'ignoring
socket' errors, but they are nothing.

we use rsync -a --perms --delete <and the rest of the copy line>

if i install a new guest, when i wake it is on the mirror server ready to go.
and yes i have tested the new copies and they run as perfectly as the
original ones.

> Thanks for any help on this,
> Rod
> --

Chuck
"...and the hordes of M$*ft users descended upon me in their anger,
and asked 'Why do you not get the viruses or the BlueScreensOfDeath
or insecure system troubles and slowness or pay through the nose
for an OS as *we* do?!!', and I answered...'I use Linux'. "
The Book of John, chapter 1, page 1, and end of book