Re: [Vserver] The $64,000 dollar question

From: Daniel Hokka Zakrisson <daniel_at_hozac.com>
Date: Wed 11 Jul 2007 - 21:10:23 BST

Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
> Thanks to all for your help and suggestions on copying Vserver guests.
> So far it has worked quite well.
>

> I'm now on to newer things which brings me to the "question." What
> distribution should I use for the Host?
>
> With Daniel's excellent repository(s) I have been using Fedora Core 5.
> I has been very stable and makes any work in the host easy. And then
> the guests get FC5 which with vyum makes them very easy to to
> maintain/enhance.
> But I just went through a repository hell trying to update the host.
> Not sure what was going on but I suspect that with FC5 at end-of-life
> this will happen more often.

"Repository hell"? Meaning what, exactly?

> So the big question is which (preferably YUM-able) distribution should I
> use for the host? I'm currently thinking CentOS 5 as it has an
> end-of-life in about 5 years. I hope to be retired by then. :-) Plus I
> believe I read that it is actually supported in Daniel's repository.

Unfortunately not, I haven't had enough round tuits lately, but you can
use the FC6 kernel RPM (though that is not as updated as I'd like it to
be, Fedora no longer updates the public tree) for now.

> And does it make sense to use an _older_ distribution in the guests
> that don't change much?

Sounds like the definition of an "enterprise"-distro, so CentOS should be
fine there too...

--
Daniel Hokka Zakrisson