Re: [Vserver] Vserver copy. The saga continues!

From: Chuck <chuck_at_sbbsnet.net>
Date: Thu 12 Jul 2007 - 20:03:10 BST

On Thursday 12 July 2007 14:50, Roderick A. Anderson wrote:

ahh ok. heh i know enough about yum to be dangerous so i only use it in the
few centos guests we have and then just do yum update :) everything else we
have is gentoo based. as soon as the package we use that requires
centos/rh/debian has a gentoo version we will be switching out to that
anyway.

> Chuck wrote:
> > On Thursday 12 July 2007 13:55, Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
> >

> > if i use vserver build with its rsync options it makes
the /etc/vserver/guest
> > directory for me just like any other build using vserver. are you using
rsync
> > by itself? maybe thats why. the vserver application automatically makes
> > the /etc/vserver/guest areas for anything as far as i know.
>
> Nope. vserver <guest> build -m rsync ...
>
> > i noticed you mention /etc/vserver/guest/apps you use other files besides
> > style and mark? i many times use mtab for certain things but i just copy
> > a 'template' mtab file in. since most of my guests are not cookie-cutter i
> > usually have to modify the settings in the /etc/vserver config area anyway
so
> > its no big deal to copy/modify capability files, mtab,add name to
interfaces
> > etc.
>
> Yeah, apps/pkgmgmt/* is not created. I've done the copy and edit route
> as you said in your other post but it is such a candidate for scripting
> I figured it might have been. But then how often does one change the
> package management system they are using? Well beside me. 8-(
>
> > i have never gotten into different pkg mgt systems and have never used
them to
> > build a guest, only to update its own files internally. i suppose i
am 'far
> > behind the times', but i treat each guest as its own server and run the
> > updates internally etc. (doesn't get me in trouble that way :) ).
>
> Here is the problem. vyum complains with
> vcontext: execvp("yum"): No such file or directory
>
> Which is only one of the missing files.
>
> So I'll be looking in to building yet-another-script to do this or add
> it to the existing vserver script. I think it's bash/shell and not python.
>

> Thanks for the thoughts,
> Rod
> --
> >> The builds using rsync are going well but this has created a bit of a
> >> problem. Typically I build using yum as the method. This creates all
> >> the necessary files in /etc/vservers/<guest>/apps. Using rsync doesn't.
> >>
> >> Is there a command/incantation to convert a vserver guest to another
> >> package-management system like yum, apt-get, etc?
> >>
> >> I suspect the pieces to do this are in the vserver script but if the
> >> method is just undocumented it would be quicker.
> >>

> >> TIA,
> >> Rod
> >> --

Chuck
"...and the hordes of M$*ft users descended upon me in their anger,
and asked 'Why do you not get the viruses or the BlueScreensOfDeath
or insecure system troubles and slowness or pay through the nose
for an OS as *we* do?!!', and I answered...'I use Linux'. "
The Book of John, chapter 1, page 1, and end of book