Re: [Vserver] The $64,000 dollar question

From: Matt Paine <matt_at_mattsoftware.com>
Date: Fri 13 Jul 2007 - 02:24:18 BST

>>> So the big question is which (preferably YUM-able) distribution should I
>>> use for the host? I'm currently thinking CentOS 5 as it has an
>>> end-of-life in about 5 years. I hope to be retired by then. :-) Plus I
>>> believe I read that it is actually supported in Daniel's repository.

> Well I was thinking of the Fedora series. But I'm liking CentOD more
> and more.

Hi Rod - I am using CentOS. Originally I used the FC RPM's provided by
Daniel - they worked really well, except I was getting memory errors
when trying to run wine.

Other than that it was running great.

In the meantime however I tried creating a vanilla (with vserver patch)
kernel rpm, which is working fantastic (as soon as i get time i'm making
it available to the public). This RPM will NOT have any of the centos
specific patches (el5 patches). It will also be an updated kernel, not
the original provided by centos.

What I'm saying is if you use the kernel, and want support from centos,
you probably wont get it if you use the modified kernel. But for me I'm
happy so far with the tests. I'll keep the list posted when I make them
public. Then people can use them if they wish.

But back to the original question - whatever distro you use (for host)
doesn't really matter, as long as it suits your purpose. You dont NEED
to have a FC host to run FC guests, and you dont need to run FC guests
under a FC host. As long as the guest support the running kernel of the
   host, afaik you can can use whatever guests you want. There are
distribution files available for lots of different guests and you can
even create your own!

Hope this has been useful.

Matt.