[vserver] Re: [Vserver] strange rsync problem

From: Baltasar Cevc <baltasar_at_cevc-topp.de>
Date: Fri 03 Aug 2007 - 14:24:13 BST

Hi Guenther,

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 00:07:55 +0200
Guenther Fuchs <vserver@muh.at> wrote:
> I've got a very strange problem on rsyncing guests from one to another
> server: After rsync process the rpm database seems to be broken,
> although everything else runs. When rsyncing back, everything is okay
> again.
> [...]
>
> After this the system is proper running on the other host - but the
> rpm DB (internalized) brings up on rpm -qva:
> | error: db4 error(-30987) from dbcursor->c_get: DB_PAGE_NOTFOUND:
> Requested page not found
> Hi Guenther,
I'm not a RPM user, but what's the type of the database? To me the
error looks like Berkeley DB (Sleepycat.com). When it's some
binary file, it may be architectural differences between the machines
the guests run on. As VServer doesn't emulate the hardware, such
differences will persist in the guest. In this case, you'd have to
dump it to some portable format and then restore it on the host. This
would also mean that all other databases of the same type or even any
other binary databases would cease work on the second machine.

Baltasar