Re: [vserver] Problems with scripts

From: Gustavo <lungpu_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu 16 Aug 2007 - 14:41:49 BST

On 8/15/07, Herbert Poetzl <herbert@13thfloor.at> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 15, 2007 at 05:39:36PM -0300, Gustavo wrote:
> > Hi, I'm new in list, my name is Gustavo and I've been testing vservers
> > for some weeks in my work for development and testing, and made
> > some "helpers" too.
>
> > My problem now is with scripts to be located at /etc/vservers/scripts.
> > As I've seen in the "flower page", they are initialize, prepre-start,
> > pre-start, post-stop, postpost-stop, and so on.
>
> > Happens that I'm trying to mount a file as a loop device to be like de
> > block device representing the disk of the vps.
>
> not the best decision (performance wise), but works
> fine (you might want to consider using LVM instead)

I did, but vserver works natively with the guest filesystem into the host
filesystem, without any other separation than the context. My approach is
near lvm but without using it, because I want everything in the same
partition by now, that's why loop devices. I expect performance issues but
I'm expermenting; the idea is to have the guest filesystem as it was in the
host filesystem (the default) but as a mount point.

> Since initialize runs _before_ the fs is mounted, it works fine
> > but unmounting and freeing the loop dev appears to be not so easy
> > because maybe there is a chroot to the vps root dir before running the
> > postpost-stop script.
>
> actually you do not need to care about unmounting it,
> if you mounted it properly (inside the guest namespace)
> as it will get unmounted when the context disappears

Not really, it is unmounted but remains on the mount tab on vserver stop,
and I also need to free the loop device after unmount.

> Do you know any alternative for doing this?
>
> yeah, I would simply put it into the config fstab and
> be done with it, the tolls will automagically mount it
> for you and the kernel will take care of unmounting

would it manage to free the loop?

> (in some days when this finish taking shape, I'll put public the
> > scripts I made to enhance functionality and make easy common
> > creation/modification tasks with vservers)

thanks