[vserver] Pulse Audio: receiving multicast on host

From: Martin Fick <mogulguy_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue 21 Aug 2007 - 20:14:26 BST

Hi,

I have recently been experimenting with the pulseaudio
sound server and ran into a multicasting problem. My
setup:

1) Pulseaudio server running in a vserver (desk),
which is sending a multicast rtp stream out for other
pulseaudio servers to listen to.

2) Pulseaudio server running on a machine (dell),
setup to listen to rtp multicast stream from vserver
desk and playback to local soundcard, works fine.

3) Pulseaudio server running on a host (mwave) of
vserver desk, setup to listen to rtp multicast stream
from vserver desk and playback to local soundcard, did
not initially work.

In order to get #3 to work I had to enable the
pulseaudio loop option for the module-rtp-send. This
option is documented like this:

    loop Takes a boolean value, specifying whether
           locally generated RTP traffic should be
           looped back to the local host. Disabled by
           default.

Should #3 have worked without the loop option?

-Martin

I am running:

 debian kernel 2.6.17-1-vserver-686 (host:mwave)
 vserver-utils 0.30.210-1 (host:mwave)

 pulseaudio #1(desk) 9.6.1
             #2(dell) 9.5.5
             #3(mwave) 9.5.7