[vserver] HA vserver in an active/active configuration

From: Christian Balzer <chibi_at_gol.com>
Date: Sun 03 Feb 2008 - 10:07:37 GMT

Hello,

2 hosts, shared storage (SAN, DRBD, iSCSI, it doesn't really matter)
and Linux HA aka heartbeat as a CRM. The obvious goal is to have the
vservers on host A to fail over to B if need be.
The equally obvious problem is that util-vserver is expecting the configs
in /etc/vservers and the vserver command has no command line option to
specify the config directory.
Am I interpreting things correctly that the only feasible solution to
this will be a symlink farm? The servers will be brought up by a
custom script within heartbeat, which will not attempt to fire up
vservers that are not currently local to the host, preventing utter
confusion. The actual configs that are being symlinked to will be on
shared storage.
Can anybody thing of something more elegant than this?

Aside from that I was hoping for vserver 2.4 or some other miracle to
deliver working 127.0.0.1 loopbacks by the time I'm rolling this out,
but I guess all those sacrificial goats did not help. ;)
It's not hard to work around, but painful to explain to internal and
external customers all the time. ^^

Regards,

Christian Balzer

--
Christian Balzer        Network/Systems Engineer                NOC
chibi@gol.com   	Global OnLine Japan/Fusion Network Services