Re: [vserver] localhost - The Cliff Notes version?

From: Vince M. Clark <vclark_at_globalera.com>
Date: Tue 12 Feb 2008 - 01:09:08 GMT

I'm a jack of all trades, master of none so my depth of knowledge with vserver is limited. But I do use it on a Debian host, and every time I create a vserver I always add localhost to /etc/hosts. I've never understood the underlying reasons for why I must do this, I just know that it usually solves my problem with most apps. The only exception is Zimbra. I beat my head against the wall for days trying to get Zimbra to install on a vserver and finally gave up and allocated dedicated hardware.

I guess my point is that I haven't run into an application yet that has a localhost problem except Zimbra. Is there a deeper localhost problem than simply adding it to /etc/hosts?

Vince Clark
Global Era
The Freedom of Open Source
vclark@globalera.com