[vserver] "Stack smash" error running vserver under hardened AMD64?

From: Ed Wildgoose <lists_at_wildgooses.com>
Date: Fri 21 Mar 2008 - 17:55:04 GMT

Hi, can someone please give me some tips on vserver under hardened amd64?

I have a working 32 bit server running the latest 2.2 vserver+grsec
patch without any problems. I have taken the kernel .config and
switched it over to 64bit and recompiled on a new machine, then rsynced
over the guests to this new machine. When I try and start them under
the 64bit machine (they are 32 bit images obviously) I get the error

# vserver www2 start
stack smashed in main (value 0x00000000000kpp00)

I then started with a new AMD64 stage from Hollow's download dir (this
is a gentoo base system) and I get the same error when it tries to
create the base image which makes me suspect that it's something to do
with the vserver scripts rather then the vserver image?

# vserver amd64template build -m template --context 25042 --hostname
amd64template --interface eth0:1.2.3.4/32 --initstyle gentoo -- -d
gentoo -t /vservers/images/stage4-amd64-20070905.tar.bz2
>>> Adding shared /usr/portage to fstab ...
>>> Checking init-style ... gentoo
>>> Unpacking template ... stack smashed in main (value 0x00000000000kpp00)

Can anyone offer any tips please?

(The only thing unusual about this setup is that I wanted to use
/vservers/images for the base root images - I changed only the symlink
in /etc/vservers/.defaults/vdirbase - could this be related?)

Thanks

Ed W