Re: [vserver] Newbei's questions

From: Stephen Liu <satimis_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue 15 Apr 2008 - 15:30:57 BST

--- Martin <inkubus@interalpha.co.uk> wrote:

- snip -

> They are very different tools, aimed at solving different problems.
> If
> you have a large number of Linux boxen you wish to consolidate / plan
> deploy a large number of boxen then vserver can make the management
> of
> them easier and reduce the hardware requirements. If you want to run
> multiple, distinct, uncoperative OSs on the same hardware - then you
> need one of the virtual machine style systems.
>
> > 2)
> > What are the major difference between VServer and FreeVPS
>
> They are both doing the same /conceptual/ thing. The differences are
> in
> how it's achieved and how they are implemented. Last I looked
> FreeVPS
> had a fully virtualised network stack (more costly but more flexible)
> while VServer had IP level separation (simplier and faster but less
> flexible) but I know this has been an active area of development so
> that
> may no longer be true. Conversely I don't think (last time I looked)
> FreeVPS had an equivalent of vhashify. It was a while since I
> checked
> the actual feature lists so I may well be wrong.

Hi Martin,

Thanks for your detail advice.

I'm running VMWare here. My bitter experience on it is Mail and Web
servers must run on Host for single IP address. All servers running on
VMWare have only single way traffic to Internet, i.e. they can connnect
Internet but Internet can't get into them. I must forward ports 25 and
80 to Guest server. In such arrangement the Host has no communication
ports. Unless I have multiple IP address. They can't share IP
address.

What happen to the Guest on VServer? TIA

B.R.
Stephen L