Re: [vserver] Newbei's questions

From: Stephen Liu <satimis_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat 19 Apr 2008 - 04:44:46 BST

Hi Martin,

Thanks for your further advice.

> On Tue, 2008-04-15 at 22:30 +0800, Stephen Liu wrote:
> > --- Martin <inkubus@interalpha.co.uk> wrote:
> <snip>
> > I'm running VMWare here. My bitter experience on it is Mail and
> Web
> > servers must run on Host for single IP address. All servers
> running on
> > VMWare have only single way traffic to Internet, i.e. they can
> connnect
> > Internet but Internet can't get into them. I must forward ports 25
> and
> > 80 to Guest server. In such arrangement the Host has no
> communication
> > ports. Unless I have multiple IP address. They can't share IP
> > address.
> This is a feature / limitation of IP. If you want to serve multiple
> domains from the same webserver / mail server, most can be configured
> do this (IIRC these are 'vhosts' in Apache parlance).

I'm doing this way for single IP. What I can't resolve is the main use
of virtualization on single IP. What server shall I build/run on
virtual server?

- snip =

> > What happen to the Guest on VServer? TIA
> In the classical case you have one IP per guest. Sharing IPs between
> guests is also possible.

Whether you meant sharing router IPs, NOT public IP to allow Internet
getting into the Guests without port forwarding. Thanks

B.R.
Stephen L