[vserver] vhashify not working? - 2.6.27.14-vs2.3.0.36.4

From: John A. Sullivan III <jsullivan_at_opensourcedevel.com>
Date: Tue 31 Mar 2009 - 01:39:34 BST

Hello, all. In our earlier deployments on kernel 2.6.22, we were very
happy with the results of vhashify. For some reason, our use in
2.6.27.14 using vserver 2.3.0.36.4 does not seem to be working as well.
This is important to us because we are planning roughly 400 nearly
identical guests on this one host.

We currently have 10 Ubuntu 8.0.4 guests running on our CentOS 5.2 based
host. Each one is roughly 2GB in size and were all cloned from the same
template. Total storage on the vserver partition is roughly 21GB. The
only unusual bit about this installation is there is /vservers/vetc
directory which is then mounted via bind to /etc/vservers. This was
originally because there was a single encrypted partition mounted via
iSCSI holding all the vserver information.

We've done:
mkdir /etc/vservers/.defaults/apps/vunify/hash /vservers/.hash
ln -s /vservers/.hash /etc/vservers/.defaults/apps/vunify/hash/root

We noticed there is another
link, /etc/vservers/.defaults/apps/vunify/hash/00
and hashify complained of a duplicate "root"directory so we deleted the
root symlink. With or without it, we have the same results.

For each vserver guest, we did:
mkdir /etc/vservers/<name>/apps/vunify

Has something changed with 2.6.27.14? Are these realistic numbers? I
would think ten identical systems should yield just slightly more than
the space of one system after running hashify. Thanks - John

--
John A. Sullivan III
Open Source Development Corporation