Re: [vserver] vhashify not working? - 2.6.27.14-vs2.3.0.36.4

From: Christoph Lukas <christoph.lukas_at_gmx.net>
Date: Tue 31 Mar 2009 - 15:02:57 BST

[..]

> > Thank you, Christoph. The commands show plenty of both types of files
> > > with the hard links clearly outweighing the regular files. Strange that
> > > I still show 20GB for 10 servers. Take care - John
> >
> > Are you sure that your measurements of disk usage are correct?
> > Do the 20 GB disk usage correspond with the df output on the /vservers
> > partition?
> >
> > du -sch /vservers/*
> >
> > should notice multiple hardlinks and count them only once.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Christoph
> >

> Yes, the numbers match and they also match the size of the space
> consumed on the thinly provisioned ZFS zvol on which they reside (28.1
> GB):
> [root@vd01 ~]# du -sch /vservers/*
> 4.4G /vservers/cle
> 2.2G /vservers/gssstation
> 2.2G /vservers/jasstation
> 1.4G /vservers/jintra
> 16K /vservers/lost+found
> 1.4G /vservers/mintra
> 1.4G /vservers/mlapo
> 1.4G /vservers/simple
> 1.4G /vservers/smcc
> 1.4G /vservers/tkee
> 1.4G /vservers/tvan
> 1.4G /vservers/vdb
> 1.9G /vservers/vdb2
> 1.4G /vservers/vde
> 1.1M /vservers/vetc
> 23G total
>
> I am guessing this may also affect my memory usage. Does VServer use
> the hashify information to determine whether a binary being called into
> memory already exists? Thanks - John

After unification identical binaries in different vservers are hardlinks
to the same inode. Therefore they are the same file / binary from a
kernel perspective and can reuse cache and memory.

If your memory usage will be lower with unification depends on if all
the running binaries are unified or not.

Regards,
Christoph