Re: [vserver] Understanding localhost

From: Jeff Jansen <jeff.jansen_at_kkoncepts.net>
Date: Fri 01 May 2009 - 15:03:26 BST

"John A. Sullivan III" <jsullivan@opensourcedevel.com> wrote on 2009-May-01:
> Am I correct to understand that, unlike earlier version, the default
> kernel compilation makes it safe to use 127.0.0.1 on a guest? That is,
> each one is uniquely mapped and does not interfere with the host
> listening in 127.0.0.1? We can thus set our /etc/hosts files to use:
> 127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.localdomain etc . . .?
>
> However, is it also true that daemon bindings to localhost will still be
> made to the address in /etc/vservers//interfaces/0 and will not
> include 127.0.0.1 unless explicitly bound?

We don't see this, John. It works like expected for us.

We have

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost

in /etc/hosts and if a process is bound to 127.0.0.1 (or localhost) then that's
what it binds to. And if it's bound to * then you can reach it on localhost as
well.

We don't run Zimbra, so I can't tell you about that. but we've had no trouble
with the default config on things like mysql which want to bind only to 127.0.0.1.

But we don't have an "interfaces/0" directory either. Perhaps there's some
conflict there. We changed them to match the actual host interface -
interface/eth0, etc. So you could try changing that and seeing if things work
as expected.

HTH

Jeff Jansen