[vserver] /usr/sbin/chbind: line 135: 7645 Segmentation fault

From: Jarry <mr.jarry_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon 11 May 2009 - 18:27:36 BST

Hi,

I have a gentoo-guest with just a basic install, the only extra
service installed is bind. Mostly it starts and works without any
problem, but there is about 10% chance that starting this guest
fails with following messages:

----------------------------------
vserver vs4-dns start
/usr/sbin/chbind: line 135: 7645 Segmentation fault
"${create_cmd[@]}" "${chain_cmd[@]}" -- "$@"

An error occured while executing the vserver startup sequence; when
there are no other messages, it is very likely that the init-script
(env TERM=xterm /lib/rc/sh/init-vserver.sh default) failed.

Common causes are:
* /etc/rc.d/rc on Fedora Core 1 and RH9 fails always; the 'apt-rpm' build
   method knows how to deal with this, but on existing installations,
   appending 'true' to this file will help.

Failed to start vserver 'vs4-dns'
-----------------------------------

I did not find any regularity in this. Mostly it works, but in some
rare ocasions simply does not. And apart from that, I noticed one
strange message while stopping this guest which might be related to
the above mentioned error:

-----------------------------------
vserver vs4-dns stop
* Stopping local... [ ok ]
* Saving random seed... [ ok ]
* Shutting down Name Service Cache Daemon... [ ok ]
* Stopping chrooted named... [ ok ]
* Stopping fcron... [ ok ]
* Stopping syslog-ng... [ ok ]
* Terminating remaining processes... [ ok ]
* Killing remaining processes... [ ok ]
* Saving dependency cache... [ ok ]
Device and target are missing; try '--help' for more information

What could be reason for that "device and target missing"?
And even more important: why do I get random segmentation faults?

Jarry