Re: [vserver] Multiple visible IPs per guest

From: John A. Sullivan III <jsullivan_at_opensourcedevel.com>
Date: Fri 22 May 2009 - 02:32:50 BST

On Thu, 2009-05-21 at 13:40 -0700, Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
> I am moving a few Vserver hosts to a new IP range then to a new colo but
> not all at once. So I'm thinking I'd add the new IPs to the host and
> guests and make the necessary DNS entries. When the physical move time
> comes, down time will not include re-IPing. Once in place I'll take the
> old IPs out one at a time.
>
> _In theory_ this should work fine but I do have a couple of questions
> that came from some network work (fumbling) I was doing the other day.
>

> On "The Great Flower Page" under the sub-section
>
> /etc/vservers/<vserver-name>/interfaces/<iface>
>
> name
>
> When this file exists, the interface will be named with the text in this
> file. Without such an entry, the IP will not be shown by ifconfig but by
> ip addr ls only. Such a labeled interface is known as an "alias" also
> (e.g. 'eth0:foo').
>

> 1) If I leave this out for the new IP are there any network issues I
> might run into?
>
> 2) If left out for the current IP are there any issues?
>

> \\||/
> Rod
Hi, Rod. I usually prefer to use iproute and secondary addresses rather
than aliases. It probably depends on whether or not some of your
applications and configurations are expecting aliases or not.

I never use the name parameter when configuring multiple IP addresses.
I may be wrong, but if I recall correctly, just adding an interface
definition does not create and bind the address. I typically add the
new address in the host (ip add add x.x.x.x/y dev ethx) and then add it
to the host with naddress --add --nid <context id> --ip x.x.x.x

Someone please correct me if I am wrong. Hope this helps - John

--
John A. Sullivan III
Open Source Development Corporation