Re: [vserver] Very serious hashify mysql/innodb conflict causes major data loss

From: Ed W <lists_at_wildgooses.com>
Date: Sat 13 Jun 2009 - 21:58:17 BST

John A. Sullivan III wrote:

> Thanks! That saved me some serious grief - John

It would still be very interesting to try and find what's causing the
issue though. The logic of vhashify should only create hard links
between identical files. In fact I'm curious how/why it's even updating
directory times?

I don't have the logic of the hash open right now, but presumably we
need to unlink one side and hard link the otherside (or perhaps it
copies/moves one side into the cache folder and hard links everything
else?) The point being I guess if you had an open file which got
hardlinked then you might be unlucky enough to end up writing to
something which was now unlinked?

That your writes to the innodb log files have stopped suggests that
perhaps part of the log files got linked while open? However, this
seems unlikely given that the data files ought to be completely
different in all your vservers?

Do you do anything special which might cause these files to look
identical before running vhashify?

Ed W