Re: [vserver] Experimental Branch usable in production?

From: John A. Sullivan III <jsullivan_at_opensourcedevel.com>
Date: Thu 18 Jun 2009 - 19:22:33 BST

On Thu, 2009-06-18 at 19:57 +0200, Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 07:29:45AM -0400, John A. Sullivan III wrote:
> > On Thu, 2009-06-18 at 09:50 +0200, randall wrote:
> > > Oliver Welter wrote:
> > > >
> > > hi there,
> > >
> > > i'm currently using the stock Debian Lenny version and have not
> > > experienced any stability or other issues the last few months.
> > >

> > > 2.6.26+17 2.3.0.35
> > > util-vserver: 0.30.216-pre2772;
> > >
> > > there seem to be some issues mentioned on the wiki with this kernel, not
> > > sure if its debian specific.
> > >
> > > http://linux-vserver.org/Installation_on_Debian#Issues_with_the_current_2.6.26_Kernel
> > >
> > There are some issues which more experienced folks than I pointed out to
> > me on this list. We are required to use newer kernels (I believe >=.26)
> > because of a serious bug in iSCSI in earlier kernels. However, in
> > both .27 and .28, we have picked up an extremely serious bug that has me
> > eagerly awaiting stable vserver for .29.
>
> well, time to start contributing (time or money), otherwise
> the testing required for a 'stable' release will not happen
> in the near future ...
We do indeed hope to start doing that as soon as our business turns
profitable. We greatly appreciate the work that has gone into VServer.

> > Every once and a while, a process sends the CPU into some kind of
> > loop. The process cannot be killed. The only option is a reboot of the
> > vserver host, not the individual vserver.
>
> which kernels did you test with? what kernels did show this
> behaviour? and what messages ended up in the kenel log?
2.6.27 and 2.6.28. I believe we recorded all the pertinent information
in previous posts.

> > We saw this regularly with the OSSEC rootkit product but it is not
> > specific to OSSEC; we did see one other non-OSSEC
>
> a test case would be good to start with!
If I recall correctly, it was not a VServer problem but rather a kernel
bug. Thanks - John