Re: [vserver] How to use nfs mount between two VPSes ...

From: Dragan Saraginov <dragan_at_saraginov.com>
Date: Thu 23 Jul 2009 - 19:50:28 BST

Hi to all.

I am trying to set up an nfs mount between two vservers on two different
physical servers. I added the following line to
'/etc/vservers/nfclient/fstab.remote

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:/home /mnt/nfserver nfs defaults,rw 0 0

On the nfs vserver I added this directory to '/etc/exports', next ran the
'exportsfs -a' command. I started the portmap service and bound it to the
vserver's IP address by adding 'OPTIONS="-i yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy"' to its
configuration '/etc/sysconfig/portmap' file. Next I downloaded and
installed the unfs v3 from 'http://unfs3.sourceforge.net/'. Here is what I
am getting when I ran 'rpcinfo -p yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy':

   program vers proto port
    100000 2 tcp 111 portmapper
    100000 2 udp 111 portmapper
    100024 1 udp 857 status
    100024 1 tcp 860 status
    100003 3 udp 2049 nfs
    100003 3 tcp 2049 nfs
    100005 1 udp 2049 mountd
    100005 3 udp 2049 mountd
    100005 1 tcp 2049 mountd
    100005 3 tcp 2049 mountd

But whenever I try to restart the client server at xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx the
restart is hanging a while and after that I am getting the following
error:

mount: yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy:/home: can't read superblock
/etc/vservers/nfclient/fstab.remote:1:1: failed to mount fstab-entry

Am I missing something? Can anyone help me with this issue?

TIA,
Dragan Saragin

> On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 09:54:12PM +0200, Dragan Saraginov wrote:
>> Thanks Herbert for the answers.
>>
>> What if the nfs vserver and the client vserver are on the
>> different physical servers?
>
> then it makes more sense to use nfs, and you can do that
> by simply putting the nfs mount in fstab.remote
>
> best,
> Herbert
>
>> Dragan
>>
>> Herbert Poetzl wrote:

>> >that is like mounting an nfs export on the same machine

>> >for this, a --bind or --rbind mount is much simpler
>> >and a lot less resource consuming, not to speak of
>> >'more natural' to the system

>> >no additional capabilities are required for that, and
>> >you can put the --bind and --rbind mounts into fstab
>> >or fstab.remote
>> >
>> >HTH,
>> >Herbert

>> signature