Re: [vserver] Nagios monitoring of host

From: Edward Capriolo <edlinuxguru_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri 24 Jul 2009 - 16:21:58 BST

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 12:32 AM, Roderick A.
Anderson<raanders@cyber-office.net> wrote:
> John A. Sullivan III wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 2009-07-23 at 07:48 -0700, Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
>>>
>>> John A. Sullivan III wrote:
>
> <snip />
>
>>> Rod
>>
>> That is a lot of change all at once!
>
> Tell me.  It was suppose to happen over the next few months then bang
> (NOC is at the business office building) we're moving it all!
>
>> However, for the one issue you addressed, I would think check ping would
>> do just fine.  Use check ping to ensure the underlying host is
>>  alive and make the host the parent of the guests.
>
> Sloped shoulders and a flat forehead.  You're spot on.  Too close to the
> problem and too new to the application.
>
>> For more complicated scenarios, e.g., compound dependencies, Nagios does
>> have a powerful dependency check but that seems overkill if I understand
>> your needs correctly.  Am I missing something?
>
> Nope you got me heading in the right direction.  Thanks!
>

> Rod
> --
>>
>> Thanks - John

Host Dependancy would probably be a good thing for VServer. All your
guest checks should probably be dependant on the host. After all, if
the host goes down getting alarms per guest is redundant. Following
that logic you can make your vserver-host dependent on your switch. I
admit to not using it in every case I could but in a large even like a
failure of a switch your email box can be overloaded with cascading
alerts.