Re: [vserver] which guest hit the memory limit?

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Tue 04 Aug 2009 - 12:29:25 BST

On Tue, Aug 04, 2009 at 09:32:29AM +0800, Jeff Jansen wrote:
> Edward Capriolo <edlinuxguru@gmail.com> wrote on 2009-Jul-24:
> > On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 7:02 AM, Herbert Poetzl<herbert@13thfloor.at> wrote:
> >> yep, by checking the /proc/virtual/*/limits

> > If you have cacti I do have limit graphs in my vserver graphing package.

> > http://www.jointhegrid.com/vserver/
> > http://www.jointhegrid.com/svn/vserver-cacti-jtg/trunk

> A quick update to say "Thanks." I saw in the logs that one of the
> vservers hit the rss limit last night and

> grep RSS /proc/virtual/*/limit

> immediately showed me which one it was. Then using Edward's cacti
> graphs I could go back and "see" the memory usage over time for that
> vserver.

> So a big "THANK YOU!" to everyone for the help.

> Now that I've gotten on your good side with flattery ;-) does anyone
> know of a way to reset the counters in /proc/virtual/<xid>/limits
> without rebooting the virtual machine?

first, this is no virtual machine. :)
second, there is no method to reset the hit counter
but there is one to reset the min/max ... this is
mainly because there is no real point in resetting
the counter (at least IMHO :)

PS: it would be trivial to add this, if you can
provide a good argument why that would be useful :)