Re: [vserver] 3 basic questions

From: Ed W <lists_at_wildgooses.com>
Date: Mon 10 Aug 2009 - 10:05:14 BST

Michael wrote:
> Why not to make something sinmilart to openvz - optiuonallly emaulte eth?
>
> I think it will make a great improvents to vserver.
>
> PS. I like vserver so mush ( but don't have all required skill to extend it.)
> emulation of eth will let to use iptaBLES, VPN, DHCPD, SAMBA,, ETC...

I agree this sounds interesting, but it also sounds like quite a lot of
work...? Vserver as a project seems to target the very light weight and
"simple" virtualisation which basically means something like a bunch of
processes in a chroot with some magic around that to make it feel almost
completely like a virtual machine.

There is no point arguing against a great idea, but my guess is that
your suggestion is outside the direct goals of vserver at present - for
sure I think it's a great idea, but I don't have a need for it myself
and probably I would reach for a full virtualisation product if I did?
(Xen, VMware or whatever?)

I think for the time being you are probably going to need to either work
around this or allow all the guest the capability to mess with the
network stack...?

Good luck

Ed W