Re: [vserver] Strange error message ...

From: Michael S. Zick <mszick_at_morethan.org>
Date: Fri 21 Aug 2009 - 23:50:58 BST

On Fri August 21 2009, Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 02:51:05PM -0500, Dragan Saraginov wrote:
> > Hi there. I am having issues to start my new created guest with Fedora 11
> > OS. Namely after I created the guest I tried to start it and after few
> > seconds of hanging I got the following error message:

> > FATAL: kernel too old
> >
> > An error occured while executing the vserver startup sequence; when
> > there are no other messages, it is very likely that the init-script
> > (/etc/rc.d/rc 3) failed.
> >
> > The kernel and util-vserver versions installed are:
> >
> > kernel version - 2.6.17.13-v.s2.0.2.1
> > util-vserver - 0.30.214
>
> well, both your kernel and your util-vserver are quite old :)
>
> > Is there a way to avoid this without restarting the physical server with
> > newer kernel?
>
> I presume the scripts in F11 check for something
> your kernel is lacking, so, if you figure out what
> it is, and remove that check, you should be fine

The current version of Fedora-11 which I have defaults
to using ext4 with SeLinux enabled (it needs the ext4
larger extended attribute area for its version of SeLinux).

I don't think 2.6.17 had a decent version of ext4.

So, disable SeLinux in the F-11 installation, which
will allow you to use ext3 instead.
I am guessing, but fairly sure that will fix your guest.

Mike