Re: [vserver] Debian Support

From: Edward Capriolo <edlinuxguru_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue 29 Sep 2009 - 21:28:14 BST

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 1:53 PM, Michael <michael.auckland@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>Maybe switch to Xen. ;)
>
> may be...
> I just switch off Xen to Vserver on debian.  Yes I found some problems
> with supplied kernel image, but I really like vserver, so I build
> 2.6.30.6 and use it on production.
> Debian kernel images  good for a very fast deployment of vserver, so
> will be useful for a lot of people.
>

> --
> --
> Michael

On a similar note I was looking to build a XEN + vserver kernel. XEN
as I can see it is really geared to be its own distribution. The XEN
site does not seem geared towards patching XEN into your kernel. To
get the XEN kernel into redhat requires tons of patches. VServer is
lighter and cleaner.

Also I have read this...

http://boycottnovell.com/2009/04/18/linux-foundation-abandons-xen/

It seems like the future of XEN could be rocky.

Personally, I have said for a while that VServer is the most
un-glamorous VM solution. For example I saw a libvirt patch for
VServer yet, I never see it get included to libvirt. It seems to be
one of those situation where vserver folks take it 95 % and then
someone can not take it the next 5%.

I am not an expert kernel builder but the VServer patch is so small it
is almost like a "throw in". I can't not figure out why the adoption
is not wider.

As i mentioned above I really want to get my XEN + VServer kernel for
CentOS going. Maybe in this case VServer community has to go "above
and beyond" and actively build host many kernels for many distros to
"prime the pump".