Re: [vserver] vs2.2.0.7 + GrSec : PHP Memory leak [SOLVED]

From: neo futur <neofutur_at_ww7.be>
Date: Wed 30 Sep 2009 - 07:26:22 BST

2009/9/30 Natanael Copa <natanael.copa@gmail.com>:
> On Tue, 2009-09-29 at 19:36 +0200, Romain Riviere wrote:
>> Hello there,
>>
>> More feedback on this nasty issue : it's *SOLVED* ! The bad news is, I
>> can blame it on the VServer+GrSec patch. The good news is, it's just
>> the grsec part.
>>
>> After perusing the patch source a little, I had a hunch that PaX was
>> interfering here, especially SEGMEXEC. And what do you know, one
>> kernel with CONFIG_PAX_SEGMEXEC unset later, PHP is happily using
>> exactly the amount of memory it should.
>>
>> Further debugging is not exactly in my league :-)
>
> Does this affect the grsecurity alone or does it only affect the vserver
> +grsecurity combo?
>
> Did you report it back to the grsecurity maintainers?

 I asked spender and he he added a comment on
http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=49501
 seems its more of a SEGMEXEC feature than a bug :
"Due to VMA mirroring, the SEGMEXEC option causes accounted vm usage
to double. So you weren't experiencing a memory leak -- you were just
being accounted for twice as much memory as you thought you were using.
The solution would be to double the resource limit or, if your system is
NX-capable and PAE is enabled, use PAGEEXEC.
-Brad"