Re: [vserver] Hosts distribution portability

From: John A. Sullivan III <jsullivan_at_opensourcedevel.com>
Date: Mon 12 Oct 2009 - 11:43:37 BST

I believe you would simply install VServer on the second server as you
did on the first. The important thing is to have the kernel patch and
the util-vserver files. You can install the kernel from RPM, by
patching the kernel source and compiling a custom kernel (if you are
asking how to do that, there are plenty of how-tos available on the web
- basically download the kernel source, download the vserver patch, run
patch (do "man patch" and "man diff" after installing the patch and diff
utilities (diff isn't necessary but helps explain patch), configure,
compile, and install the kernel), or any other available method for your
Linux distribution. The same with installing util-vserver.

Once that is done, simply copy the entire /vserver and /etc/vserver
directories. I've never tried it but I would imagine you can copy a
single vserver by copying its subdirectories out of /vserver
and /etc/vserver. I'm guessing this will work even with hashification
enabled. If moving multiple hashified vserver guests, I would guess one
would have to rehashify
(http://linux-vserver.org/util-vserver:Vhashify). Can anyone with
experience doing this confirm that? Hope this helps - John

--
John A. Sullivan III
Open Source Development Corporation