Re: [vserver] Karmic guest problem with xorg and mtrr

From: John A. Sullivan III <jsullivan_at_opensourcedevel.com>
Date: Tue 29 Dec 2009 - 04:29:37 GMT

On Tue, 2009-12-29 at 00:48 +0100, Thomas Weber wrote:
> Am Montag, den 28.12.2009, 18:12 -0500 schrieb John A. Sullivan III:
> > On Mon, 2009-12-28 at 23:24 +0100, Thomas Weber wrote:
> > > For NX you don't need no harware xorg packages at all. Just get rid of
> > > all xorg-* packages. I have installed xserver-common though.
> > > Watch out for meta-packages like ubuntu-desktop that probably depend on
> > > lots of hardware stuff (and pull these in).
> > >
> > > The biggest pain is (this %!$%^ half finished and strange behaving)
> > > upstart. See the wiki for this (/var/run and /var/lock as tmpfs inside
> > > the guest helps alot!).
> > >
> > > I have a working karmic vserver with NX and no extra capabilities.
> > > Though this was a jaunty vserver which I upgraded and fiddled around
> > > alot to get it working. The upstart wiki entry was the result of this.
> > > But I can't exactly tell which of my settings/changes got me the NX
> > > stuff running.
> > >
> > > I'd be happy to help you with specific NX issues and maybe you wanna
> > > document this too.
> > >
> > > Attached is the list of packages installed on that vserver (dpkg
> > > --get-selections) (note that this is probably much more than you
> > > want/need)
> > >
> > > regards,
> > > Tom
> > <snip>
> > Thanks, very, very much. I did find the upstart wiki article very
> > helpful and have implemented it and I do suspect it is the meta packages
> > that are pulling in the unnecessary packages. Time to start weeding
> > through! - John
>
> Most likely you will encouter more issues like I did, but as I said, I
> don't know anymore what exactly solved the specific problem. So feel
> free to contact me off-list as I don't want to clutter the list with my
> wild guesses, though once this is solved a summary on the list / wiki
> article would be a good thing.
>
> Tom

I'm almost there. There are a number of offending meta-packages
including kde-{standard,full,minimal} xorg ubuntu-desktop. In our case,
we wanted to install virtually all the end user applications as we are
providing desktops to external clients. This list could certainly use
some cleaning, (e.g., eliminating sub-packages that are included in main
packages) but here is what has worked so far:

vapt-get vdbase -- install apt less joe openssh-server gimp evolution
firefox thunderbird qcad qcad-data basket dia gnucash scribus
mozilla-plugin-vlc audacity filezilla inkscape kpovmodeler povray xsane
sane-utils unrar unrar-free wamerican wspanish wbritish wcanadian
witalian wfrench wogerman lookup gv evolution-exchange
evolution-plugins-experimental evolution-documentation-en gnome-spell
latex-xft-fonts gimp-data-extras gimp-help-en libgimp-perl gnupg-doc
xloadimage groff libxml-xql-perl skencil aspell ispell hspell lame
kde-i18n-it kde-i18n-fr kde-i18n-es kde-i18n-de kde-i18n-engb efax
hylafax-client smbclient cupsys-common html2ps ttf-arphic-bkai00mp
ttf-arphic-bsmi00lp ttf-arphic-gbsn00lp ttf-arphic-gkai00mp ttf-baekmuk
ttf-kochi-mincho libqt3-mt-mysql libqt3-mt-odbc libqt3-mt-psql
librsvg2-bin hpoj speex libtiff-opengl libterm-readline-gnu-perl
libterm-readline-perl-perl povray-doc povray-examples iptables unpaper
scribus-doc scribus-template tclreadline gs-gpl gs-esp ghostscript
xserver-common xfs msttcorefonts mesa-utils xsane-doc ncompress
p7zip-full unzip libnss-mdns libpam-ck-connector dbus-x11 gsfonts-x11
evolution-plugins spamassassin bogofilter yelp filezilla-common curl
gimp-python gnucash-docs imagemagick libwmf-bin perlmagick pstoedit
python-lxml python-numpy flac vorbis-tools aspell-en aspell-it aspell-fr
aspell-es aspell-de libpaper-utils libcompress-zlib-perl
libhtml-format-perl libmailtools-perl xml-core perl-doc povray-includes
qcad-doc perl-tk texlive-base-bin-doc texlive-fonts-recommended-doc
myspell-en-us myspell-it myspell-de-de myspell-fr myspell-es xterm
twinkle konsole pdfedit rdesktop zip bzip2 ocrad gocr cupsys-client
openprinting-ppds openprinting-ppds-extra kscreensaver-xsavers
spellutils xhtml2ps klamav language-support-es language-support-it
ca-certificates p7zip-rar smbfs xfonts-cyrillic x-ttcidfont-conf
acroread ttf-bengali-fonts ttf-indic-fonts-core ttf-kannada-fonts
ttf-oriya-fonts ttf-telugu-fonts ttf-wqy-zenhei tzdata-java equivs
icedtea-gcjwebplugin sun-java6-fonts rhino-doc openjdk-6-jre strace
libxp6 flashplugin-installer postgresql-client sshfs lsof ssh
libpam-foreground ssh-askpass pulseaudio gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio
libasound2-plugins pulseaudio-esound-compat pulseaudio-module-x11
pulseaudio-utils padevchooser paman paprefs pavucontrol pavumeter
xournal firefox-webdeveloper openoffice.org-help-en-us
openoffice.org-help-en-gb openoffice.org-dmaths openoffice.org
openoffice.org-style-andromeda openoffice.org-style-galaxy
openoffice.org-style-human openoffice.org-style-industrial
openoffice.org-style-oxygen openoffice.org-style-tango
openoffice.org-evolution gimp-dcraw gimp-dds gimp-gap gimp-gutenprint
gimp-plugin-registry gimp-resynthesizer gimp-texturize helix-player
kflickr openclipart tesseract-ocr-eng tesseract-ocr-spa amarok
kde-style-qtcurve kde-style-bespin kde-style-polyester
kde-style-skulpture kde-thumbnailer-openoffice plasma-widget-facebook
plasma-widget-quickaccess speedcrunch kgrab kleansweep kopete-facebook
koverartist kphotoalbum kraft krecipes kwin-style-aurorae
kwin-style-crystal kwin-style-dekorator plasma-widget-adjustableclock
plasma-widget-bkodama plasma-widget-customizable-weather
plasma-widget-daisy plasma-widget-drop2ftp plasma-widget-fancytasks
plasma-widget-flickr plasma-widget-fortunoid plasma-widget-kepas
plasma-widget-logout plasma-widget-mail plasma-widget-nextwallpaper
plasma-widget-pgame plasma-widget-runcommand plasma-widget-searchmoid
plasma-widget-spellcheck plasma-widget-stasks plasma-widget-stockquote
plasma-widget-teacooker plasma-widget-tictactoe
plasma-widget-translatoid plasma-widget-weatherforecast
plasma-widget-windowlist plasma-widget-xbar qtcurve qtodo qwit semantik
kubuntu-restricted-extras ubuntu-restricted-extras mplayer-fonts
sun-java6-fonts pdfshuffler openoffice.org-pdfimport
openoffice.org-presentation-minimizer openoffice.org-report-builder
openoffice.org-sdbc-postgresql openoffice.org-wiki-publisher festival
festival-freebsoft-utils grandfatherclock kguitar rosegarden
mozilla-openoffice.org openoffice.org-writer2xhtml sun-java6-plugin
firefox-showcase firefox-linky linkchecker-gui mozplugger quanta ocropus
kdebase klipper x11-apps xinput x11-session-utils x11-xfs-utils
xfonts-100dpi xfonts-75dpi xfonts-base xfonts-scalable
gnome-applets-data gnome-panel-data gnome-games-common screen
gstreamer0.10-nice empathy eog espeak evince evolution-couchdb f-spot
file-roller mscompress gcalctool gconf-editor gedit glchess glines
gnibbles gnobots2 gnect gnome-accessibility-themes gnome-blackjack
gnome-codec-install gnome-sudoku gnometris gnomine gnotravex gnotski
gtali gnome-mahjongg gnome-games gnome-mag gnome-orca gnome-screensaver
gnome-terminal gnome-themes-selected humanity-icon-theme
gnome-themes-ubuntu gnome-utils gstreamer0.10-tools
gstreamer0.10-plugins-base-apps gucharmap gvfs-fuse human-theme
jockey-gtk lftp media-player-info mtools nautilus-sendto nautilus-share
notify-osd notify-osd-icons rhythmbox screensaver-default-images
seahorse ssh-askpass-gnome telepathy-idle tomboy totem-plugins
totem-mozilla transmission-gtk ttf-kacst ttf-lao ttf-thai-tlwg
ttf-unfonts-core ttf-vlgothic ubuntu-wallpapers ubuntu-artwork
ubuntu-sounds usplash xdg-user-dirs-gtk ubuntu-xsplash-artwork xsplash
vinagre vino xcursor-themes evolution-indicator kdegraphics kdeutils
kdeaccessibility kdepim kdegames kdemultimedia kdeedu kdetoys kdeadmin
kdeartwork krdc krfb kget kdeplasma-addons graphviz kate kimagemapeditor

We hit a few bumps along the way. From our internal documentation:
"We did the above installation in phases to narrow down the offending
meta-packages. After the installation of "postgresql-client sshfs lsof
ssh libpam-foreground ssh-askpass pulseaudio gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio
libasound2-plugins pulseaudio-esound-compat pulseaudio-module-x11
pulseaudio-utils padevchooser paman paprefs pavucontrol pavumeter
xournal firefox-webdeveloper openoffice.org-help-en-us
openoffice.org-help-en-gb openoffice.org-dmaths openoffice.org
openoffice.org-style-andromeda openoffice.org-style-galaxy", we hung on
"Regenerating hal fdi cache ?" and interrupted with Ctr-C. We then had
to enter vdbase and run dpkg --configure -a. After this, all seemed to
work well.
We hit the same problem after doing "gimp-gutenprint
gimp-plugin-registry gimp-resynthesizer gimp-texturize helix-player
kflickr openclipart tesseract-ocr-eng tesseract-ocr-spa amarok
kde-style-qtcurve kde-style-bespin kde-style-polyester
kde-style-skulpture kde-thumbnailer-openoffice plasma-widget-facebook
plasma-widget-quickaccess speedcrunch kgrab kleansweep kopete-facebook
koverartist kphotoalbum kraft krecipes kwin-style-aurorae
kwin-style-crystal"."

We also found problems after doing an apt-get upgrade. rsyslog and udev
are not configuring and hanging during the process. We're also having
some grief installing wine1.2 as it wants to register
with /proc/sys/fs/binftm-misc or whatever that file is. We'll tackle
that later.

I was hoping to report that we had successfully tested it but X2Go is
calling xserver-xorg as a dependency! We'll hit that again tomorrow.
Thanks for your help - John