Re: [vserver] TRIM, vhashify, SSD

From: Ed W <lists_at_wildgooses.com>
Date: Tue 16 Mar 2010 - 14:46:11 GMT

On 16/03/2010 12:54, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> The consumer flash is MLC, so it has about three orders
> of magnitude less write endurance than SLC. Is it safe to
> run monthly or weekly vhashify runs on guests, to reduce
> their footprint on disk (since expensive) and on memory
> (limited)? I'd like to save flash space, but not kill it
> by wearing out by writing to it too much.

No idea if it's safe, but the opinions on lifespan seem to vary
massively and very few people seem to have failed flash that they can
talk about... I doubt vhashify causes much write load on a typical
setup either...

However, I can testify to how good these things are! Just bought a
Crucial C300 for my Macbook Pro and does this thing shift or what!
Previously, app opening performance was pretty dismal, eg OOO takes more
time to open than I care to measure and booting Windows in Parallels a
ton of time also - now the same apps open in "a couple of seconds" and
it's quite cool seeing the disk throughput meter maxing out at over
150MB/s... (windows now boots really fast when you run it on a Mac!!)

Have fun!

Ed W