Re: [vserver] Debian guest on Gentoo host problem

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Tue 18 May 2010 - 11:09:39 BST

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 10:30:02AM +0200, Tor Rune Skoglund wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> Debian guest on Gentoo host: Someone care to give me a hint here?
>
> Situation: I have a gentoo host (linux-2.6.32-vserver-2.3.0.36.28)
> with util-vserver 0.30.216_pre2883. I have been using gentoo vservers
> for years without problems. Now, I have to setup a debian guest, and
> ran into problems almost immediately.

> >Could not find local version of 'debootstrap'; downloading it from
> >http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/d/debootstrap/debootstrap_1.0.22_all.deb...
> >2010-05-18 09:46:21 >URL:http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/d/debootstrap/debootstrap_1.0.22_all.deb >[57090/57090] -> "/var/tmp/debootstrap.RKmFEc/debootstrap.deb" [1]
> >I: Retrieving Release
> >E: Invalid Release file, no entry for main/binary-GenuineIntel/Packages
> >chroot-sh: open("/etc/apt/sources.list"): No such file or directory
> >secure-mount: chdir("/tmp"): No such file or directory
> >/etc/vservers/dt/fstab:2:1: failed to mount fstab-entry
> >vcontext: execvp("bash"): No such file or directory
> >wait(): No child processes

> >An error occured while executing the vserver startup sequence; when
> >there are no other messages, it is very likely that the init-script
> >(bash -c
> > exec > /dev/null
> > exec 2> /dev/null
> > trap 'kill -s 9 -- -1; exit 0' INT
> > sleep 30
> > kill -s 15 -- -1
> > sleep 1
> > kill -s 9 -- -1) failed.

> >Common causes are:
> >* /etc/rc.d/rc on Fedora Core 1 and RH9 fails always; the 'apt-rpm' build
> > method knows how to deal with this, but on existing installations,
> > appending 'true' to this file will help.

> >Failed to start vserver 'dt'
> >'vserver ... suexec' is supported for running vservers only; aborting...
> >'vserver ... suexec' is supported for running vservers only; aborting...
> >'vserver ... suexec' is supported for running vservers only; aborting...
> >'vserver ... suexec' is supported for running vservers only; aborting...

> which make me a feel a bit lost :)

> E: Invalid Release file, no entry for main/binary-GenuineIntel/Packages
> seems to be the critical error, but having little experience with debian,
> I am not sure where to begin.

> If anyone care to help, I'll update the wiki afterwards.

it's rather simple, you didn't specify any arch to debootstrap,
so it took the one provided from the gentoo host, which seems
to be GenuineIntel (which is definitely not an arch debian
provides packages for :) try using i386 or amd64 like this:

vserver <name> build ... -d lenny -m <url> -- --arch i386

HTH,
Herbert