Re: [vserver] Problem calling PHP socket_read() function

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Wed 19 May 2010 - 11:55:52 BST

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 09:02:40PM -0600, David Vanfleet wrote:

> Thanks for your response Herbert.

> On 5/18/2010 8:25 AM, Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> >On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 08:07:03AM -0600, David Vanfleet wrote:

> >>Hi I have a Linux Vserver guest that has been running the ispCP Omega
> >>hosting control panel. The control panel was running fine until I moved
> >>that guest to a different piece of hardware also running Linux Vserver.
> >>Now I'm having nothing but problems. There seems to be a problem
> >>running the php socket_read() function. When it tries to execute that
> >>function it just sits there until it times out. Both of these systems
> >>are running the same Kernel and the same version of Linux Vserver
> >>(2.6.31.7 and vs2.3.0 for Vserver), also both Vserver hosts are running
> >>Debian Lenny and the guest is also Debian. I have no idea what the
> >>problem is.I don't think this is a problem with the control panel. I
> >>have been struggling with this for several weeks now and am becoming
> >>quite frustrated so any help here would be appreciated.

> >if what you say is true, I'd conclude that the hardware
> >on one machine is faulty, but more likely the following
> >is the case (pick at least one :)

> > - config between guests differs

> The two guests are the same, I used rsync to copy the /vservers/guest
> and /etc/vservers/guest directories from the old system to the new system.

what was the exact rsync line (options) used to transfer?

> > - util-vserver version/configuration differs

> It looks like this is true the util-vserver on the original system is
> 0.30.216-r2772-6 and the new system is 0.30.216-pre2864-2, which one
> should I be using?

in general, newer util-vserver contains more fixes and
support for newer features, so I'd go for the latest

> Is is safe to try to update this utility on a production system?

again, in general it is safe to update to the latest
(be careful un debian systems though :)

> Also, if this is a vserver config problem, what should I be looking
> for?

could be anything ... hard to tell without more details
like e.g. an strace of the failing operation

> > - kernel configuration/build differs

> After taking a closer look it looks like the kernels are different too,
> the original is 2.6.29.6 and the new one is 2.6.31.7. But I still don't
> understand even with these differences, why I would be having these
> problems. What Kernel or Vserver settings would cause this kind of a
> problem?

see above ...

> > - the guest was not properly moved

> What is the correct way to move a Vserver guest? I've never seen any
> instructions on how to do this. I used rsync.

rsync is fine, as long as you have the proper options

HTH,
Herbert