Re: [vserver] searching for vserver template

From: Gordan Bobic <gordan_at_bobich.net>
Date: Wed 29 Sep 2010 - 15:52:12 BST

Chuck wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 29, 2010, Gordan Bobic wrote:
>> Chuck wrote:
>>> i have a need for a modern redhat/fedora or suse vserver template 64bit. must be
> 64bit. i
>>> am having trouble locating such an animal. i have to check with the software vendors
> but
>>> it may be possible it will also run under centos 64bit but i dont want to run the
>>> troublesome 4.3 versions.. would need something newer.
>>>
>>> anyone know where i can get one?
>> When you say template, do you mean the config file templates, or an
>> actual tar ball of a minimum install? I've recently made one for RHEL6b,
>> and that was pretty straight forward to derive from the config templates
>> available. Usual things about upstart distros apply (set init style to
>> "plain", and disable console output in the init configs).
>>
>> I found I also had to port the yum patches to the yum version included
>> with RHEL6b. I posted that here the other day, you should be able to
>> find it in the archives. For the rest I can send you a tar ball, if you
>> are interested in the RHEL6b configs.
>>
>> You will, of course, have to roll your own kernel with vserver patches,
>> but that's straightforward enough. I never bothered to rpm my kernel build.
>>

> i use gentoo on the host and that is already set for vserver and is running several. i
> just have a need for a recent redhat guest since an app we want to run requires redhat and
> wont run on anything else.
>
> my preference is to find a complete running vserver guest thatr i can just install and run
> and then add to as i need.

So, you want a tar ball of /vserver/<guestname>, rather than the
/etc/vservers/* configs? i.e. you don't want to do a vyum type install?

I can certainly build you a basic tar ball of a RHEL6b system (don't
have a CentOS 5 setup handy at the moment, and you probably shouldn't be
putting a beta version into production). I think you'd have to
internalize the package management if you don't have yum on the host,
though. You'd also have to make sure that your kernel is of a suitable
version. IIRC, RHEL/CentOS 5.x and derivatives have problems with
kernels 2.6.28+.

Gordan