Re: [vserver] usb ports in guest?

From: Adrian Reyer <are_at_lihas.de>
Date: Thu 30 Sep 2010 - 08:10:52 BST

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 05:50:48PM -0400, Chuck wrote:
> i have a 64bit centos5 guest running, however i need for it to see the usb ports. the
> application i will be using requires the usb encryption key installed at all times.
> presently lsusb does not see anything. i have looked in the capabilities and flags page
> but cannot find anything specific to releasing the usb ports to the guest.
> is there a way?

If the key generates some entry in /dev, you might just try and mknod
that very device within the guest.
udevadm monitor
might give you a hint there. If the device exists somewhere else all the
time you might try and just write an udev-script that creates this device
within the guest on the fly (and possibly removes it again when it is
removed)
Currently I am doing similar things for keyboard/mouse/USB-VGA adapter,
however, the setup is not yet finished for my goals. The code my work
bases on is at
git clone http://git.plugable.com/webdav/misc-udlfb
the 'usbseat' stuff has working examples for udev-generated devices and
scripts running as a result. They are easy to understand and you should
be able to adopt them (basically remove most of the lines) easily.

Regards,
        _are_

--
LiHAS - Adrian Reyer - Hessenwiesenstraße 10 - D-70565 Stuttgart
Fon: +49 (7 11) 78 28 50 90 - Fax:  +49 (7 11) 78 28 50 91