Re: [vserver] Problems installing Ubuntu 10.10 as a guest of a Debian host

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Mon 18 Oct 2010 - 20:30:47 BST

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 05:46:23PM +0200, Markus Fischer wrote:
> Hi,

> I'm running a Host with Debian Lenny on 2.6.26-2-vserver-amd64 with
> VS-API: 0x00020303 and util-vserver: 0.30.216-pre2772; Dec 13 2008,
> 04:56:19 (it's basically all standard Debian installation).

I'd suggest to update to a more recent, less buggy kernel
and util-vserver version

> I now would like to get Ubuntu 10.10 as guest running. For that I
> started out with creating a symlink "maverick" in
> /usr/share/debootstrap/scripts pointing to "gutsy" (I did this because I
> found that in an ubuntu server I installed on a machine directly it was
> the same).

> The build process went OK until the end:

> I: Configuring python-central...
> W: Failure while configuring base packages. This will be attempted 5 times.
> I: Configuring procps...
> W: Failure while configuring base packages. This will be attempted 5 times.
> W: Failure while configuring base packages. This will be attempted 5 times.
> W: Failure while configuring base packages. This will be attempted 5 times.
> W: Failure while configuring base packages. This will be attempted 5 times.
> I: Base system installed successfully.

> I found out about
> http://linux-vserver.org/Installing_Ubuntu_8.04_Hardy_as_guest which
> basically said that this message can be ignored.

> I've then started and entered the vserver and adjusted the sources.list
> to point to my apt-proxy:

> deb http://apt-proxy:9999/ubuntu/ maverick main restricted universe
> multiverse
> deb-src http://apt-proxy:9999/ubuntu/ maverick main restricted universe
> multiverse
> deb http://apt-proxy:9999/ubuntu-security/ maverick main restricted
> universe multiverse
> deb-src http://apt-proxy:9999/ubuntu-security/ maverick main restricted
> universe multiverse

> First thing I tried was to set the proper locale:

> # dpkg-reconfigure locales
> perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
> LANGUAGE = (unset),
> LC_ALL = (unset),
> LANG = "en_US.UTF-8"
> are supported and installed on your system.
> locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
> locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
> locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory

> The locales package is installed:

> # dpkg -l locales|grep '^ii'
> ii locales 2.13+git20100825-1 common files
> for locale support

you also want to install the actual locale files
not just the locale support, and either configure
the locale to be the same as the host (en_US.UTF-8)
or unset it when entering the guest

http://linux-vserver.org/Upstart_issues

> Has anyone encountered this or knows any workarounds?
> I'm not sure if the inability to configure the locales is
> related to this, help on that matter is very much appreciated too.

no, not really related, you get that on any distro
which has no locale configured/installed when entering
the guest with a preset host locale

HTH,
Herbert