Re: [vserver] Centos kernel

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Sun 07 Nov 2010 - 08:40:41 GMT

On Sun, Nov 07, 2010 at 03:23:31AM +0100, Roman Pretory wrote:

> Hello

> Have a system by a provider running fine with the Centos5.5,

okay ...

> but kernel.panic the the latest Kernel from
> http://rpm.hozac.com/dhozac/centos/5/vserver/x86_64/

the 'latest' kernel there is almost a year old, and
IMHO not the best choice for a system nowadays, mainly
because it will have several security issues discovered
and fixed since in mainline

in any case, upload the bootup log and resulting panic
so that we can take a look what happens ...

> What I found out it is a Asus board with AMD Chipset and
> Northbridgeby nVidia Series mctr

not the best choice, but should work with a recent kernel

> Is there a way to patch the Centos kernel by using kernel.devel ??

probably, you just need to adapt one of the old patches
to you hybrid kernel and of course test/debug the result

> 2.6.18-194.11.3.el5-x86_64 what for a patch version is to beused

parts from 2.6.18 up to the recent kernels I guess, unless
the centos folks got lazy and stopped backporting

> same prozedure?

same procedure as every year, roman!