Re: [vserver] floating hostname

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Thu 20 Jan 2011 - 16:20:16 GMT

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 09:49:37PM +0000, Wojciech Giel wrote:
> Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> >On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 04:41:55PM +0000, Wojciech Giel wrote:

> >>Hi,

> >>I'm running VS on ubuntu server 8.04. I used before kernel from
> >>http://ppa.launchpad.net/christoph-lukas/ppa/ubuntu hardy and
> >>everything was fine but when I upgraded with kernel to 2.6.32.25
> >>and vs2.3.0.36.29.6.

> >first, why upgrade the kernel when everything was fine?
> >second, if you upgrade, why to a kernel which is quite
> >old compared to recent kernels?

> My bioinf team think of moving from ubuntu server 8.04 guest to 10.4.
> I have tried to run 10.4 but cannot start it. upstart patch and
> configuration given on VS website didn't work. when I ps aux in guest
> I got continuous root (.....) init. so next step was to compile a
> newer kernel so i've decided to check the long support 2.6.32 line. on
> this server 10.4 VS starts but when i ssh to ex. stats host in comand
> prompt betasms (guest - 10.4) the same when I ssh to any other guest.
> >>when I ssh to host or any guests I get different hostname.
> >>It is floating somehow.

> >I doubt that the hostname is 'floating' around somehow.

> Yes i realized it is only vs with 10.4.
> >>What might be a problem?

> >I presume that the hostname just changes every now and
> >then, which might be a side effect of not having proper
> >guest isolation (which usually is the result of using
> >too old util-vserver for your kernel)

> i have 30.214 util-vserver from repository. should I try to compile
> latest stable .30.215 or experimental?

let me check, hmm ...
0.30.214 released September 2007
0.30.215 released March 2008,
2.6.32 kernel, released December 2009

so yes, you need to update util-vserver and no
neither 0.30.214 nor 0.30.215 will work with
a kernel newer than 2.6.22 mainly because the
namespaces were not part of the kernel back
then ...

HTC,
Herbert