[vserver] Request - please avoid patching EXTRAVERSION?

From: Ed W <lists_at_wildgooses.com>
Date: Thu 10 Feb 2011 - 11:16:46 GMT

Hi Herbert

I have started to look at a process to track vserver, plus a couple of
other kernel patches that I like. One of the minor snags I keep hitting
is minor merge failures with the Makefile... These merge conflicts would
disappear if you would be kind enough to switch to using the
"localversion-" method to add EXTRAVERSION params rather than patching
the Makefile? (this also seems like the most advocated solution as well?)

To be explicit, if you would please create a file: localversion-vserver

With the contents, eg:
-vs2.3.0.37-rc4

Then this would achieve the same effect as modifying EXTRAVERSION, but
would assist me by removing a regular merge failure which I'm finding
difficult to automate?

Also, I notice that you include in your patch some files normally
excluded by the kernel .gitignore:
     drivers/gpu/drm/radeon/*_reg_safe.h

Perhaps these should be excluded when you cut your patch?

Thanks!

Ed W