Re: [vserver] Resource Limit issues

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Thu 10 Mar 2011 - 15:28:03 GMT

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 03:13:52PM +0000, Joe Gooch wrote:
> I have several servers that have run Debian Lenny w/ kernel 2.6.22.19
> for quite some time without any issues. I've been doing rolling
> upgrades to Squeeze... and I've encountered some strange limiting
> behavior.

> Some of my vservers have limits on resource usage (i.e. rlimits/as,
> rlimits/nproc, rlimits/rss), and have been experiencing out of memory
> issues to the extent that I can't even vserver exec processes into the
> namespace anymore.

> Looking at all my /proc/virtual/xxx/limit I see the following:
> VM: 73456 0/ -1 -1/ -1 0
> VM: 7264 0/ -1 -1/ -1 0
> *VM: -27253 0/ -1 -1/ -1 0
> VM: 6751 0/ -1 -1/ -1 0
> VM: 183464 0/ -1 -1/ -1 0
> VM: 1261030 0/ 2224643 -1/ -1 0
> VM: 41791 0/ 199142 -1/ -1 0
> VM: 191196 0/ 258038 -1/ -1 0
> VM: 199354 0/ 1603723 -1/ -1 0
> VM: 670480 0/ -1 -1/ -1 0
> -VM: 45315 0/ 1200000 1200000/ 1200000 0
> VM: 31508 0/ 300000 300000/ 300000 0
> *VM: -88860 0/ -1 -1/ -1 0
> VM: 431386 0/ 502421 -1/ -1 0
> *VM: -14804 0/ -1 -1/ -1 0
> VM: 25737 0/ -1 -1/ -1 0

> Notice have 3 vservers on different hosts that have negative "current"
> values for virtual memory. (at the moment) The ones that have no
> hard/soft limit are ok... but if I have a hard limit configured, I
> can't spawn any more processes when this happens. I have a vserver
> where this happens at least once a day. (the dashed one above)

> I would assume that a negative current value is a bug...

definitely a bug, you might check with the mainline 2.6.32.28
kernel and appropriate patch, if you can recreate the issue
there, let me know and we'll investigate ...

> Is there a delta to fix this?

no idea, the VM/RSS accounting and limits have been dropped
in favor to the mainline cgroup accounting which is used in
all newer kernels