Re: [vserver] Problem with RHEL6 on Ubuntu 10.4

From: Jeff Jansen <jeff.jansen_at_kkoncepts.net>
Date: Fri 11 Mar 2011 - 01:37:51 GMT

On Friday 11,March,2011 09:09 AM, Vladislav Geller wrote:
> So I've just spent an hour trying to compile yum with rpmbuild under
> Ubuntu with a lot of .spec trickery.
>
> I didn't realize how hard it will be to build a tool that is not
> really made to work with that system.

I think you need to patch and compile the version of yum that comes with
ubuntu using the "normal" debian tools, not create a new one using rpmbuild.

Here's what I just did to rebuild yum-3.2.25 on Lucid. I *think* this
is what you need to do. (You'll need a working build environment, of
course as well as git to get the util-vservers sources.)

apt-get source yum
sudo apt-get build-dep yum
git clone http://git.linux-vserver.org/git/util-vserver.git
cd yum-3.2.25
patch -p1 < ../util-vserver/contrib/yum-3.2.22-chroot.patch
dpkg-buildpackage -b -uc -rfakeroot

Now you've got a new "yum_3.2.25-1ubuntu2_all.deb" file one level up
that you can install on your machine(s). Once that version of yum is
installed, you should be able to create vservers using yum.

HTH

Jeff Jansen