Re: [vserver] readonly root not working (mkdir(): read-only filesystem on vcontext command)

From: Benjamin Sonntag <benjamin_at_octopuce.fr>
Date: Sun 20 Mar 2011 - 22:12:15 GMT

Hi,

(replying off-topic since I was not subscribed when the topic started (sorry))

We were using read-only (ro) root vserver since 2006 at lautre.net (a french mutualised hosting non-profit organisation)

All went fine since then, but debian squeeze util-vserver version (0.30.216) now fails to start vservers having Read-Only "/"

This is because of how pivot_root works.

We have a tmpfs on /var/run for obvious reasons, so I propose you move the .oldroot temporary folder to /var/run (since this
folder is likely to be rw anyway ;) )

The patch is attached and works perfectly in our infrastructure.

I also told Debian guys about a bug in their packaging ( http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=619063 ) but that's
irrelevent here ;)

Do you think you will add this patch to your official source code ?

In the meantime, I will try to publish our way of running what Corin Langosch wanted to do : we are providing exactly this
service since 2006 :)
- mutualised hosting
- wanted to give our users temporary shell providing standard commands (editors, source code revision softwares, sql
dump/restore, ftp and rsync etc.)
- wanted to do it using temporary-launched read-only vserver with /home mounted to the home of the user etc.

Thanks guys for this wonderful piece of code :)

Best Regards,

Benjamin Sonntag
Octopuce
Lautre Net