Re: [vserver] Re: [Freedombox-discuss] A software architecture for the FreedomBox

From: Martin Fick <mogulguy_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed 13 Apr 2011 - 21:59:09 BST

--- On Wed, 4/13/11, Eugen Leitl <eugen@leitl.org> wrote: > On 11-04-13 at 05:49pm, Eugen Leitl wrote: > > On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 05:06:23PM +0200, Rob van der > Hoeven wrote: > > > > > One of the first things you have to do when > building a system like > > > the FreedomBox is figure out the software > architecture. I have come > > > up with an interesting architecture that is made > of Linux Containers > > > (Virtual > > > > Using Linux vserver guests for service separation > (jails on steroids) > > is an excellent idea, actually. > > I find it interesting, but am sceptical: I believe each > jail consume > separate memory for their libraries - i.e. cannot benefit > from shared > libraries.  So I worry about memory consumption. While that is a good concern, vserver unification can eliminate much of this problem if the vservers use the same shared libraries (same versions). -Martin