Re: [vserver] All my vserver guests lost its IP

From: Marcus Mülbüsch <m.muelbuesch_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Thu 14 Apr 2011 - 08:58:15 BST

Am 13.04.2011 16:51, schrieb Christian Bricart:
> Hi Marcus,
>
> you very likely forgot to set:
>
> net.ipv4.conf.all.promote_secondaries=1
>
> in your /etc/sysctl.conf and un-/re-/dis-configured your primary IP
> address on eth0 ..

Yes, and no.

    I did not set it, but if I read
http://linux-vserver.org/Frequently_Asked_Questions#If_I_shut_down_my_vserver_guest.2C_the_whole_Internet_interface_ethX_on_the_host_is_shut_down.__What_happened.3F
correctly this only affects the other guest ips if the primary host ip
is brought down.

    I always use IPs for my guest that are different from that of the
host, so this never affected me, methinks.

    Anyway, no one was logged in on the host, so I'm pretty sure I
didn't mess with my primary IP-address.

    I did activate Alias promotion, however, now. Thanks for the pointer,

Marcus