Re: [vserver] Vserver network setup

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Tue 26 Jul 2011 - 13:40:04 BST

On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 01:12:31PM +0200, Laurens Vets wrote:
>>> I currently have a host with 1 external (routable) ip address and
>>> want
>>> to start using guests which also have external (routable) ip
>>> addresses.
>>> However, they are in a different subnet than the ip of the host.

>>> What is the best way to configure this?

>>> My guess would be to let the host act as a gateway

>> you can do that on a recent kernel with network namespaces ...

> The only thing I can find related to this is LXC/Linux Containers?
> How does that fit in with Linux-Vserver?

almost everything a recent kernel provides can be used by
Linux-VServer, and same goes for network namespaces

a bunch of folks on the #vserver channel already made
a setup/configuration with network namespaces but as
it seems nobody cared to document it on the wiki (yet)

basically it is done by unsharing the network namespace
and assigning the proper devices/etc to that space, then
creating the Linux-VServer contexts in that name space
(you can still use network isolation within that space
or disable it completely, depending on your preference)