Re: [vserver] Stable Linux-VServer Release

From: Roman Vesely <roman_at_liten.cz>
Date: Thu 28 Jul 2011 - 15:31:39 BST

V Thu, 28 Jul 2011 15:36:10 +0200
Herbert Poetzl <herbert@13thfloor.at> wrote:

> There have been numerous 'requests' for a new Stable
> release and it seems like the Linux-VServer community
> is willing to 'sponsor' the stabilization process ...
>
> I've spent a bunch of hours on getting the 3.0 kernel
> (patch) up and running to a degree where it is actually
> useable
>
> What might have gone unnoticed in the past is that
> there have been quite intrusive changes in certain
> kernel releases, which kept us from actually doing the
> necessary code review and testing for a stable release
>
> 2.6.22 -> 2.6.23 (scheduler, nsproxy, memory)
> 2.6.26 -> 2.6.29 (memory, page cache, networking)
> 2.6.32 -> 2.6.33 (sendfile, quota)
> 2.6.38 -> 2.6.39 (vfs and thus cow, networking)
>
> finally 3.0 has broken some things like the user name-
> spaces and it will probably take some time till that
> get fixed upstream
>
> thus the first thing is to select a kernel we want
> to stabilize for a stable release ...
>
> options IMHO are:
>
> - 2.6.32.x (has performance issues, but is long term)
> - 2.6.38.x (good performance, not longterm yet)
> - 3.0.x (immature, but the future)
>
> note that whatever kernel we choose, the stabilization
> will be for that kernel only, i.e. there is no way to
> port such a kernel to the other branch (without need
> to redo all the testing and review)
>
> please share your thoughts and preferences in this
> thread so that we get an idea where we are heading to

Ok, I paid $ 500 (two working nights ;-)

I prefer stable and supported system.
(Debian stable, LTS kernel from kernel.org and LTS vserver patch,
like 2.2.0.x branch or openvz style support)

I don't like to testing and upgrade my system's several times a year :-((
I would like a system that will work for years with no or litle maintenance.
(security updates)

Thanks,

Roman