Re: [vserver] Stable Linux-VServer Release

From: Gordan Bobic <gordan_at_bobich.net>
Date: Thu 28 Jul 2011 - 18:07:44 BST

 On Thu, 28 Jul 2011 18:48:36 +0200, Herbert Poetzl
 <herbert@13thfloor.at> wrote:

> of course, nobody really knows and I don't know what
> distributions will do, but I guess that nobody wants to
> stick with a 2.6 kernel now that 3.0 is out, at least all
> the major distros will feature and support 3.x in some
> way ...

 Of course they will, but I don't see RHEL6 jumping from 2.6.32 to 3.x
 during it's production life, and RHEL7 isn't due for at least another
 couple of years, possibly longer. Either way, whether they will shift
 the distro kernel is largely irrelevant. What IS important in this case
 is whether 3.0 will work on the current stable distro with at most
 minimal userspace changes. As I said before, if current stable distros
 will work fine with a vanilla 3.0.x kernel, then I would completely
 support that, but that is something that needs to be assessed.

 Gordan