Re: [vserver] Stable Linux-VServer Release

From: Benedikt Böhm <bb_at_xnull.de>
Date: Sat 30 Jul 2011 - 17:09:53 BST

On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 3:13 PM, Ed W <lists@wildgooses.com> wrote:
> On 29/07/2011 20:19, Herbert Poetzl wrote:
>> here the status so far:
>> all the money so far is on 2.6.32.x while the majority
>> votes for 3.0.x ...
>

> Put me down for $500 on 3.x and newer (I'm on holiday in the sticks -
> will send money shortly).  As Adrian Reyer says, kernel development
> model is basically that when you want to buy some new server hardware or
> use some new iptables feature, you tend to be required to go with the
> latest, greatest kernel...

[...]

> I also don't want to upgrade kernels every 10 minutes, so my solution is
> to add the Pax patch to try and avoid needing to upgrade kernels so
> regularly. Machines then tend to sit there without reboots for some
> years... So it really does me no benefit for someone to carry on
> developing for that old kernel version - I'm not going to notice...!!
> Next time I need a new kernel either for a reboot or a new machine,
> probably I will evaluate something much more recent anyway...
>
> Those of you voting for 2.6.32 or .38 or whatever, try and notice the
> different between what you are actually running on your servers today
> and whether it benefits you in the slightest to keep developing for that
> version... Surely your 2.6.32 machine is running fine right now?  (Mine
> are) Surely the next time you care to install a new kernel it will be
> because you have upgraded to some new version of the distro that is
> likely based on 3.x?  Don't you prefer to see 3.x be the one developed
> *now* so that it's ready for you to move to next year?
>
> I feel there is a lot of backwards looking here.  Think where you want
> to be in 1-2 years time, not where you want to be last week

Couldn't have said this better myself. (read: my vote is for 3.0)

I'll donate 100 EUR from my private account, and will try to collect a
few hundred bucks from my customers as they all happily use
Linux-VServer, but i can't assure anything before beginning of next
week.

@Bertl: please send me your bank account details, so i can just
transfer it via SWIFT instead of crappy paypal.

I also think that Daniel Hozac should get some of the donations for
taking good care of util-vserver for a long time already!

Thanks & Regards,
Bene